Knitting, designing, cooking, enjoying San Francisco bay area and American way of life

    Home     Patterns     Shop     Categories     About     Contact    

Thursday, August 9, 2012

The story of the "Merlot Buckwheat", aka my new sweater

I was thinking that it could be fun to write the story of the new sweater I am knitting on the blog instead of the little note space in Ravelry. I can document it with pictures and funny faces!!
So here it goes...

Once upon a time...it is beginning of August and I am already thinking back to school, fall, winter and what kind of sweater I am going to wear. I have decided to challenge myself this year and try not to buy any new sweaters. Instead I am going to make them, something like 5 to 7, all ready for the first day of Winter, which in California is Dec 1. (I swear it is true )

I have picked a few (almost 100) favorite patterns in my ravelry, created a Pinterest board "Sweaters I want to knit", so I am ready for it.

Chapter 1


"Buckwheat" by Veera Välimäki in Merlot Wollmeise Sockenwolle 80/20 Twin.





8/5/2012
Started swatching with 3.0 mm needle, liking it.
[Got these needles from Europe by accident, I ordered a US 2 thinking it was a 2.75 mm but it came as a 3 mm. I was annoyed at first but now very happy because I can’t find them in the US and they are useful for a bunch of my patterns .]
Got 3 skeins of the same color for my sweater but will start the body with 2 skeins, hoping I will only need 2. I’m mixing up the 2 skeins just in case (I am not familiar with hand dye yarn), changing every row.



8/7/2012
Finished with ribbing, that went fast!! Yarn feels a little different than “Pure” 100% Merino Superwash but let’s knit more before I get a definitive opinion about it.


8/8/2012
I have decided to keep the same needle to knit the stockinette part of the body. So far I like the tight knit.
I have tried it to see if I had picked the correct side and it looks like it is going to be a perfect fit.




more of my adventure soon...

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine how much this personal project has demanded from you with your constant diligence and focus for knitting. But it's with passion like that can creative things spring out. I'd really like to see more of these kinds of posts in your blog.

    ReplyDelete